Friday, August 13, 2010

Recovering from the accident!!!

July 2 - 11 weeks till WEG team training camp.




Well its been a month since the vehicle accident that left me with 5 broken bones in my leg as well as a hyper extended right arm. The bruises and cuts on my body have healed but the arm and leg are taking there sweet time. The staples are out of my leg and the incision from the operation are still healing. When Paul my boyfriend saw the last set of X-Rays he actually thought they were some one else’s he looks at me and says " Wow Lauren look at those X-rays that person sure has it bad" When i looked at it I happened to notice my name in small print at the top. Oh Paul Thanks for that!!! 12 screws and pins are what is holding my lower leg together.

It’s been great being back in Colorado living in my cabin and being around the whole Parelli team again, but really really tough having to focus on getting healed. I want to be out at the barn or even in the office - however once my leg is not elevated for more then 3 hours it starts to throb and swell, so off to bed I go.



I've started having the Mastery Program students at the Colorado Parelli center ride my horses. If you ask me to be honest I didn’t have much faith in them...... isn’t that awful! How are they going to help me keep them in development for WEG. These students all have a great foundation Online, in Liberty and Freestyle however are still developing their feel for finesse

TO my surprise they all managed to have a good feel, and listened really well. Maile my Gold medal winner from Beijing just needs to be kept fit, stretching and building her endurance. Manny my back up horse is still learning to go forward off my sticks instead of legs & to have contact that isn’t heavy but is consistent. Manny is who I am most worried about the most as I was just starting to really understand him.

My other two are in development and are doing great.



It has been a test of my communication skills trying to articulate what I needed done with my ponies. At one point there were the four of them going around the arena in different patterns. I’d call out for one of them to be longer and lower or to give or to bend and all of them would do it or look at me confused. Got to get better and quicker with the names!!! .



It is hard to know how my leg is healing since I can't feel it. At night is spasms and actually jumps out of the bed, I have to take the pain killers and anti spasmodic drugs for it to keep it sedated. Feels odd taking medication for something I can’t feel. Anyhow I will go for X- Rays in two more weeks, and hopefully get the ok to start riding again.

No comments:

Post a Comment