Friday, August 13, 2010

Lauren Barwick Para Equestrian- 4 star Parelli Instructor

I have been looking forward to the 2010 WEG especially since it is being held here in the USA. Since I started competing internationally in 2002 I have traveled mostly to Europe to compete against the top riders, this time it will be a hop skip and a jump. My England 2012 horse is not as of yet emotionally ready for a competition of this size so I have been trying to keep my gold and silver medal Beijing 2008 horse in training for Worlds. Maile has age and physical limitations against her however her accuracy, with her heart and desire are will help her make it through WEG with great results. Maile has had a fantastic 2010 show season with her highest results most recently in Canada at a 3 star International show scoring 78% in her freestyle, and overall grade 2 championship.


Her training involves mostly supelling exercises, stretching and cardio strengthening. Since this will be her last International competition with me as a grade 2 rider I have decided to not change her freestyle from the one she performed in Hong Kong winning a gold medal.

My second horse in training for WEG is L’Amistat (Manny) . I have been partnered with him since January. We are still getting to know one another and he is learning to adapt well to my aids which are very different from an able bodied person. He has great technique and knows dressage well, he just needs to improve on his expression, exuberance, and communication with ME his partner.

With WEG being in the USA I am looking forward to all the sideline support. With the competition being so close it will allow friend and family the opportunity to support their riders.

As a Para Equestrian I am ecstatic being involved in the first World games that have all the FEI sports competing at the same venue within the same time line. This is really a step forward for my sport and I hope spectators take advantage of the opportunity to be inspired and empowered by watching what is possible!!

I am fortunate that I actually get to be involved in the 2010 WEG in two ways. My sponsors and full time educational program Parelli Natural Horsemanship will be there for the full 2 weeks as demonstrators. I have three other horses that will be at WEG as a part of the Parelli demo team. Before the Para Equestrian Canadian team goes into team training camp I will participate in demos with Parelli showi ng there principles and the kind of foundation I believe will help a performance horse achieve their optimum potential.

Lauren Paralympian Dressage

No comments:

Post a Comment